The TMJ is one of the most complicated joints in the body and can cause a plethora of problems when out of alignment or under strain. Its connections with the rest of the body are complex and are controlled by emotions and Stress, as much as physical problems.
Dr Teresa day of Appledore Dental Clinic referred a client for TMJ Release. When I first saw Gill (name changed), I was shocked at how skewed her face was. It was almost as if someone had punched and pushed the left side of her jaw backwards. Her problems were many including:
- pain and tightness in the neck and base of her skull
- difficulty opening her jaw
- clicking jaw
- uneven bite
- ‘clanging’ bite – the movement of opening and closing her jaw wasn’t smooth
- pain in the jaw and a feeling of congestion
- lower back pain
Dr Day continued to work with her dental presentation and asked me to realign and release TMJ to redress some balance.
After several sessions of:
- internal TMJ release (a painful but necessary adjustment)
- external facial, head and neck soft tissue release and skeletal realignment
- full body release and realignment treatment
Gill reported the following.
- less pain in the face, head and neck areas
- increased mobility in her neck and shoulders
- enunciation clearer
- chewing action smoother, her jaw wasn’t ‘clamping’ shut
- her mouth opened more fully
- she could brush right into her back teeth, something she hadn’t been able to do for years
- was now confident enough to tie her hair up and show off her face because it now looked more ‘normal’
Overall she said ‘Everything is flowing as it should’.
Whilst we have made good progress, there is still work to be done.
Does Gill’s story resonate with you or someone you know? It is worth doing something about it because TMJ issues can be debilitating and can ruin the sufferer’s confidence.
Email me if you have a question – happy to help.